Each Friday during April, I’ll be sharing some aspect of life with multiples. In addition to some fun stuff, I’m also working on a couple of interviews with people I think you’ll enjoy hearing from. I hope you’ll join us!
If you’ve ever had a newborn baby, you know that there is no other sleep exhaustion quite like that of the first days, weeks and months (sometimes years!) of your baby’s life. Add in two more newborn babies, and life gets CRAZY. Like many moms, mine planned to stay with us when we brought the babies home from the hospital…little did we realize that it would take her, me and David to just care for the babies! Clean the house? Nope. Fix meals? Nope. Nap? Ha!
Night-time feedings were especially chaotic! The babies came home eating every three hours or so. Can you imagine what it is like to have one waken early? And then the challenge to get three settled back down so you can then go pump? Much about that time is just a hazy fog, but I do remember my heart sinking when one baby would wake before my alarm was set to go off at 1a and the challenge of trying to get the last of the three back down at 2 or 2:30a so I could pump and sleep before the 4a feeding. We racked up about 4 hours of sleep (each!) during those first couple of months…on a good night. This makes for a few very, very tired individuals. (You can read more about how we survived those months here.) And being super sleep-deprived makes for some very funny moments – some that were really big mistakes at the time (thanks to my triplet-mommy friends for their help in compiling this list!). Moments like:
- Forgot to put a diaper on one of the girls – just buttoned her onesie and went on about things.
- My husband would put the boys in the wrong bed at times which really confused me in the mornings.
- I once added formula to my morning coffee.
- Accidentally tried to give them leftover sweetened condensed milk instead of formula (from the can).
- Washed the portable phone in the dishwasher…twice!
- Almost brushed their teeth with diaper ointment.
- Forgot to hook bottles up to the breast pump and pumped about 20 oz all over my lap before I realized why I was soaking wet.
- My daughter made a bottle with French vanilla creamer instead of formula….on accident!
- Forgot to refill the litter box with litter…poor cat pooped on the bathroom rug!
- First time I went to the grocery store, I drove all the way home with the cart of groceries still sitting on the sidewalk.
- So used to shushing a baby that I shushed a spoonful of my soup instead of blowing on it. (mine!)
- Put my two year old’s size 4 diaper on my 9 pound baby and didn’t notice till the next time she was changed…oops!
- Loading up 5 kids in the minivan and driving home, leaving the Runabout (a very large and expensive triple stroller) sitting right next to the parking lot after daycare.
- The first time I took all three back to the doctor, I forgot to take a diaper bag. Didn’t realize it until after we took their diapers off and didn’t have any to put back on. We were out all day seeing specialists, so good thing Babies R Us was close by! Good news? I did bring a cooler with breastmilk!
- Changed a baby and forgot to put a diaper back on! Walked away and came back 10 minutes later…oops!
- Husband and I were taking turns feeding in the middle of the night – he had the last shift and I went to get the babies up. I saw he put my daughter’s sleeper on my son. I was so exhausted that I couldn’t figure out if he had the wrong baby in the wrong crib or just dressed wrong. He also wore two different shoes for an appointment that same week!
- I hung up the phone in the microwave and nearly turned the microwave on.
- I had a bad habit of trying to double-diaper…kept forgetting the very important step of removing the dirty/wet diaper!
- Found the keys in the fridge, cell phone in the diaper stacker…
- Forgot I was sanitizing bottle nipples on the stove…$40 worth, melted! TWICE!
- Wore two different colored shoes to work one day and I had a big meeting!
- I melted a breast pump.
- In the middle of the night I grabbed a teddy bear off the couch and took him to have his diaper changed. Didn’t realize until I got all the way downstairs and our night nanny asked what I was doing.
- Forgot to put a diaper on my son…of course he peed everywhere.
- Came home from a grocery shopping trip. Parked the van in my driveway and walked in the house with the babies, leaving all the groceries in the car. Didn’t realize until about 5 hours later when I went to make dinner…
- Put coffee in a bottle…but never ended up giving it to the babies, thank goodness!!!
- We use the “ssshhhh” technique to soothe them and one night I woke up “ssshhhing” and patting the
dog’s back thinking I was calming a baby. The dog seemed quite happy with my mistake.
- When I was still pumping and getting only about 1.5 hours of sleep at a time, my alarm went off for the 3am feeding. I was frantically pushing buttons to make it stop, to no avail. It took me a good minute to realize the buttons I was pushing belonged to the bedside breast pump.
- Walked into a sliding glass door. And put the phone in the fridge and when it rang, I went to the fridge and answered it, like that was just a normal activity.
Happy Friday! And hug your multiple-mommy-with-newborns friends – remind them they’re doing a great job! =) The end.
Pssst! Have you “liked” us on Facebook yet? What?! Hurry – it’s on the right sidebar…got it? Yay! Now you’ll be able to stay up to date with all the new posts and goings-on in the Fountain Circus!